Boston gets closer to being under the luxury tax line.Report: Three-team trade sends Forbes to Nuggets, Juancho Hernangomez to Spurs — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
ORONTO & SAN ANTONIO POSTGAME VIDEO: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2j8fgl17gig3szo/AAB_ze09Pd9gbmQ4iXZXs3URa?dl=0
|TORONTO RAPTORSPOSTGAME NOTES|
FINAL SCORE: TORONTO RAPTORS 129, SAN ANTONIO SPURS 104
DATE: JANUARY 4, 2022
|FINAL SCORE||RECORD||HIGH POINTS||HIGH REBOUNDS||HIGH ASSISTS|
|San Antonio||104||14-22||Poeltl – 19||Poeltl – 12||Four players – 4|
|Toronto||129||17-17||VanVleet – 33||Siakam – 12||Barnes – 8|
Toronto went on a 21-7 run beginning at the 6:40 mark in the second quarter to push the lead to 16 points (63-47) with 1:48 remaining in the half … The Raptors outscored the Spurs 38-24 in the frame and led by double digits for the entire second half.
The Raptors scored a season high-tying 129 points and matched a season best with 18 three-point field goals … Toronto also tallied a season-high 30 assists, and improve to 11-2 when recording more (or same) assists as opponents.
- With the win, Toronto improves to 17-17 this season and 10-10 at home … The Raptors have now won three consecutive games for the first time since a five-game winning streak Oct. 27-Nov. 3 … Toronto willtravel to Milwaukee to play the Bucks Wednesday night.
- Fred VanVleet finished with a game-high 33 points and added seven rebounds in 32 minutes … VanVleet has now scored 30+ points in three consecutive games (Dec. 31-Jan. 4), averaging 33.0 points and shooting .493 (33-for-67) from the field, including .419 (18-for-43) from beyond the arc during this stretch … VanVleet becomes just the sixth Raptor to score 30+ points in three consecutive games, joining Vince Carter, Mike James, DeMar DeRozan, Kawhi Leonard and Kyle Lowry.
- Pascal Siakam tallied 18 points and 12 rebounds in 27 minutes for his team-leading seventh double-double of the season … Siakam has recordedthree consecutive double-doubles (Dec. 31- Jan. 4) for the first time since Jan. 8-11, 2021.
- Scottie Barnes recorded 11 points, nine rebounds and a career-high eight assists in 33 minutes … Barnes has scored in double digits in 14 consecutive games played (Nov. 21- Jan. 4), averaging 15.9 during this stretch, shooting .497 (84-169) from the field, including .396 (21-53) from beyond the arc.
- Justin Champagnie scored a season-best 14 points (5-6 FG, 4-5 3PT) in 13 minutes off the bench … Champagnie has led the Raptors in bench scoring three times this season, most recently Dec. 14 at Brooklyn.
- Gary Trent Jr. finished with 21 points and three assists in 32 minutes … Trent Jr. has scored 20+ points ten times this season, something he did 15 times in 58 games last year.
- With the loss, San Antonio falls to 14-22, including 7-12 on the road … The Spurs will continue a seven-game road trip (Dec. 31- Jan. 10) against the Boston Celtics at TD Garden Wednesday night.
- Jakob Poeltl finished with team highs of 19 points and 12 rebounds in 23 minutes for his ninth double-double of the year … Poeltl has recorded double-doubles in three of the last four games (Dec. 27-Jan. 4), averaging 14.8 points and 11.0 rebounds during this stretch.
- Devin Vassell tallied 15 points, three assists and two rebounds in 28 minutes … Vassell has now scored 15+ points in back-to-back games (Jan. 1-4), averaging 17.0 points, and shooting .448 (13-for-29) from the field over the last two contests.
- San Antonio’s bench outscored Toronto’s reserves 47-32, led by career highs from Joshua Primo (15) and Joe Wieskamp (13).
|2021-22 SEASON-SERIES||ALL-TIME RECORDS|
|DATE||SITE||RESULT||RAPTORS WINS||SPURS WINS|
|03/09/2022||San Antonio||at Toronto:||11||15|
|at San Antonio:||5||20|
GAME #34 – TORONTO RAPTORS (16-17) vs. SAN ANTONIO SPURS (14-21)
TUESDAY, JANUARY 4, 2022 – 7 P.M. (ET) – SCOTIABANK ARENA
TV: SPORTSNET – RADIO: TSN 1050 TORONTO
SAS@TOR San Antonio Spurs Bates-Diop, Keita Available Injury/Illness – Right Hamstring; Tightness
Cacok, Devontae Out Health and Safety Protocols
Collins, Zach Out Injury/Illness – Left Ankle; Stress Fracture
McDermott, Doug Out Health and Safety Protocols
Murray, Dejounte Out Return to Competition Reconditioning
Walker IV, Lonnie Out Health and Safety Protocols
Toronto Raptors Bonga, Isaac Questionable Return to Competition Reconditioning
Dragic, Goran Out Not With Team
Johnson, David Out Injury/Illness – Left Calf; Strain
Mykhailiuk, Svi Out Health and Safety Protocols
Watanabe, Yuta Out Health and Safety Protocol
• The Toronto Raptors (16-17) complete a four-game homestand (Dec. 28 – Jan. 4) Tuesday night vs. the San Antonio Spurs (14-21) at Scotiabank Arena. Toronto and San Antonio split the season series last year
(1-1), with the home team winning both contests. The Raptors have won seven of their last nine games at home (Dec. 2 – Jan. 2), after beating New York 120-105 on Sunday afternoon.
• Fred VanVleet finished with a season-high 35 points, and made a season-best seven three-point field goals, Sunday vs. New York. VanVleet has scored 30+ points in consecutive games, and three of his last four games played (Dec. 14 – Jan. 2). He is averaging 31.0 points and shooting .476 (40-84) from the field,
including .460 (23-50) from beyond the arc, over the last four. VanVleet has scored 30+ points in a teamhigh five games this season, something he did six times in 52 contest last year.
• The Raptors outrebounded New York 44-30, including 11-7 on the offensive glass, Sunday afternoon. Toronto has held opponents to fewer than 10 offensive rebounds in three consecutive games (Dec. 28-Jan. 2). During this span, the Raptors have outrebounded opponents 141-109 and 38-18 on the offensive
end. Toronto ranks second in the NBA in offensive rebounds per game (12.9) and second-chance points (15.9), trailing only Memphis in both categories.
• Pascal Siakam finished with 20 points, 14 rebounds and seven assists in Sunday’s win over the Knicks. Siakam has now tallied 20+ points in four straight games (Dec. 14 – Jan. 2). He is averaging 24.5 points
and shooting .519 (40-77) from the field during this streak. Siakam is just the third player in Raptors franchise history to record 20/10/5 in back-to-back games, joining Chris Bosh (2X) and Kyle Lowry.
• Fred VanVleet (115) and Gary Trent Jr. (109) currently rank second and third, respectively, in the NBA in
total deflections. Trent Jr. also ranks second in the league in steals per game (2.03) and has recorded
multiple steals in 19 games, while VanVleet has led the NBA in deflections per game each of the past two seasons. The Raptors lead the NBA in deflections per game (18.7) and rank third in steals (9.1).
• Rookie Scottie Barnes has scored in double figures in 13 straight games played (Nov. 21 – Jan. 2). He is averaging 16.2 points and shooting .494 (80-162) from the floor, including .412 (21-51) from beyond the
arc, during this streak. He currently leads all rookies in minutes (35.8), ranks second in points (15.5) and rebounds (8.1), and fourth with a .493 field goal percentage.
• Fred VanVleet is one of just seven players in the NBA averaging 20+ points, 6+ assists and 5+ rebounds this season, along with Steph Curry, Luka Doncic, James Harden, LeBron James, Nikola Jokic and Ja Morant. VanVleet has posted 20/6/5 in four games this season.
• Spurs centre Jakob Poeltl was picked ninth overall by the Raptors in the 2016 NBA Draft. Poeltl spent two seasons in Toronto, averaging 5.4 points and 4.1 rebounds in 136 games played. In 2018, Poeltl was traded to San Antonio with DeMar DeRozan for Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green.
F – OG ANUNOBY #3
MIN: 36.3 REB: 5.2 AST: 2.4 STL: 1.7 TO: 1.5 BLK: 0.5 PTS: 19.4
• Recorded 14 points, three rebounds, three steals and one assists in 30 minutes Jan. 2 vs. New York.
• Had missed 15 of the last 17 games (Nov. 18 – Dec. 28), including 13 (Nov. 18 – Dec. 14) with a left hip pointer.
• Has totaled seven steals in last two games (Dec. 31 – Jan. 2); has recorded 3+ steals five times this season.
F – SCOTTIE BARNES #4
MIN: 35.8 REB: 8.1 AST: 3.3 STL: 1.1 TO: 1.9 BLK: 1.0 PTS: 15.5
• Tallied 13 points and four rebounds in 30 minutes Jan. 2 vs. New York.
• Leads all rookies in minutes (35.8), and ranks second in points (15.5) and rebounds (8.1).
• Has scored in double figures in 13 straight games played (Nov. 21 – Jan. 2), averaging 16.2 points.
F – PASCAL SIAKAM #43
MIN: 35.1 REB: 8.4 AST: 4.3 STL: 0.8 TO: 2.5 BLK: 0.9 PTS: 19.9
• Finished with 20 points, 14 rebounds and seven assists in 35 minutes Jan. 2 vs. New York.
• Has collected 10+ rebounds in consecutive games, including a career high-tying 19 boards Dec. 31 vs. LAC.
• Moved into 10th on the Raptors’ all-time assists list Sunday (966); averaging 7.3 assists in last three games.
G – GARY TRENT JR. #33
MIN: 34.1 REB: 3.0 AST: 2.1 STL: 2.1 TO: 0.9 BLK: 0.3 PTS: 16.2
• Contributed five points, four rebounds and two assists in 20 minutes Jan. 2 vs. New York.
• Ranks second in the NBA in steals per game (2.03); has recorded multiple steals in 19 games.
• Averaged 15.1 points, 3.1 assists and shot .386 (27-70) from three-point range in nine games in December.
G – FRED VANVLEET #23
• Scored a season-high 35 points Jan. 2 vs. New York; added five rebounds and five assists in 31 minutes.
• Leads the NBA in minutes per game (37.7), has logged 40+ minutes seven times.
• Toronto is 12-3 all-time when VanVleet scores 30+ points, including 4-1 this season.
MIN: 37.7 REB: 5.0 AST: 6.7 STL: 1.6 TO: 2.9 BLK: 0.6 PTS: 20.9
Isaac Bonga (Return to Competition Reconditioning) – Questionable
Goran Dragic (NWT) – Out
David Johnson (Left Calf; Strain) – Out
W-L EAST WEST
OVERALL 16-17 11-11 5-6
HOME 9-10 6-7 3-3
AWAY 7-7 5-4 2-3
OVERTIME 0-1 0-1 0-0
NEXT GAME DETAILS
Opponent: Milwaukee Bucks
Date: Wednesday, January 5
Tip-Off: 8 p.m. (ET)
Venue: Fiserv Forum
Radio: TSN 1050 Toronto
SERIES RECAP VS. MILWAUKEE
OVERALL HOME ROAD
2021-22 1-0 1-0 0-0
ALL-TIME 42-54 21-27 21-27
STREAKS Won 3 Won 1 Won 3
LAST WIN: Dec. 2, 2021 (97-93)
LAST ROAD WIN: Feb. 18, 2021 (110-96)
LARGEST MARGIN OF VICTORY: +42 (Nov. 21, 2014)
LARGEST MARGIN OF DEFEAT: -27 (Nov. 6, 2007)
SPURS LAST GAME STARTERS
G • 6-6 • 195
GP/GS PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3PG% FT% MPG
30/2 10.8 3.9 1.5 1.03 0.70 .450 .350 .724 24.7
2021-22: Devin Vassell hit his 100th career three-pointer, joining Gary Neal and Danny Green as the only
Spur players to make 100+ threes in their first 100 career games … on 11/10, Vassell became one of five
Spurs in history with multiple outings of 5+ three-pointers in his first 100 career games (Neal, Bertans,
Green, Forbes) … in 20-21, Vassell posted a streak of 11 games with 1+ steals and 0 turnovers, marking
the longest streak all-time in NBA history … only the second Spur in history to record 30+ three-pointers
and 30+ steals in their first 30 career games, joining Tony Parker … became the seventh rookie in
franchise history to record 50-plus three pointers in their first season.
G • 6-2 • 185
GP/GS PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3PG% FT% MPG
33/1 4.3 2.1 2.2 0.33 0.00 .508 .182 1.000 12.4
2021-22: In his first-career start, scored a career-best 15 points and 6 field goals on 1/1 … on 12/26, set a new
career-high in assists, dishing out 11 in Detroit and one of two Spurs to total 10+ assists in the same game; the
first duo since Jan. 18, 2021 and before that when Avery Johnson and Sean Elliot did it in 1996.
C • 7-0 • 240
GP/GS PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3PG% FT% MPG
28/27 12.2 8.5 2.8 0.61 1.43 .598 — .358 28.3
2021-22: Last season, had 120 blocks, which ranked 5th in the NBA … Hit 2,000 career points on 4/22 …
15th player in San Antonio history with 250 career blocks … tied a career-high 20 points and a career-best
16 rebounds on 3/17 – first Spur with 20+ points and 15+ rebounds since 2018-19 … recorded 15 of his
24 career double-doubles … had 22 games with 3+ blocks this, the fourth-most in the NBA… He broke his
single season-career high with 123 last year, becoming the 14th player in Spurs history to reach 100
blocks in a single season and the first Spur not named Tim Duncan with 120+ blocks since Rasho Nesterovich (2003-04).
G/F • 6-6 • 210
GP/GS PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3PG% FT% MPG
34/34 15.0 6.6 1.6 0.85 0.12 .458 .449 .686 30.9
2021-22: Keldon Jonson is leading the NBA in 3-pt percentage shooting .472 from three … recorded eight
of his nine career double-doubles last season … ninth player in franchise history selected to the Rising
Stars Challenge … third youngest and fifth-fastest Spur to reach 1,000 career points on 5/13 … scored 23
points with a career-high 21 rebounds on 3/19, first Spur to post a 20/20 game with 10+ offensive boards
since Tim Duncan in 2010 … scored a career-high 29 points, 1/14 … posted fifth-career 20/10 game on
4/3, only Tim Duncan had more before his 22nd birthday (37).
G • 6-4 • 195
GP/GS PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3PG% FT% MPG
35/35 14.5 3.5 5.6 1.20 0.89 .423 .290 .863 30.8
2021-22: Set a career-best 14 assists at Detroit on 1/1 … on 12/26, dished out 10 assists in 16 minutes.
He is now the only player in Spurs franchise history to record 10+ assists in 16 minutes or less … fourth
player in Spurs history with 2,000 points, 600 rebounds and 600 assists in their first 200 games … reached
both 150 steals and 150 blocks in his career on 10/28. Only four players in Spurs history have 150/150 in
their first 200 games: David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Greg Anderson and Derrick White … 2020-21 recorded
a single-season career-high 84 three-pointers in 36 games … set Spurs record for three-pointers in the first
quarter with 4 treys in the opening frame on 4/19 … posted career-highs of 29 points, 7 three-pointers
made and tied a career-best 10 field goals made in a season-high 45 minutes of action vs. Atlanta on 4/1.
Oct. 11: Waived Luka Samanic; Oct. 18: Waived Al-Farouq Aminu; Oct. 18: Claimed Devontae Cacok off waivers; Signed Devontae Cacok to two-way contract; Oct. 27: Assigned Josh Primo to G League; Nov. 3:
Re-called Josh Primo; Nov. 10: Recalled Josh Primo from G League; Nov. 13: Assigned Josh Primo to G League; Nov. 26: Recalled Josh Primo from G League; Nov. 27: Assigned Josh Primo to G League; Nov. 29:
Recalled Josh Primo from G League; Dec. 2: Assigned Josh Primo to G League; Dec. 6: Recalled Josh Primo from G League; Dec. 8: Assigned Jock Landale to G League; Dec. 10: Assigned Josh Primo to G League;
Dec. 12: Recalled Jock Landale from G League; Jan. 1: Signed Jaylen Morris to 10-day contract.
Zach Collins (Left Ankle Stress fracture) – Out;
Keita Bates-Diop (Right Hamstring Tightness) – Questionable;
Devontae Cacok (Health and Safety Protocols) – Out;
Doug McDermott (Health and Safety Protocols) – Out;
Lonnie Walker IV (Health and Safety Protocols) – Out;
Dejounte Murray (Return to Competition Reconditioning) – Out
LOS ANGELES — It was fitting that on Thursday night, the Lakers as a franchise were largely looking back fondly on their 22 seasons at Staples Center. It’s hard to feel as warm about the immediate future. The San Antonio Spurs (13-18) ran over the Lakers, 138-110, in a game that never felt particularly close.…Lakers can’t keep up with Spurs as Staples Center era ends with lopsided loss — Press Enterprise
LOS ANGELES — With the simple shift of putting Anthony Davis in the middle, the Lakers looked quite formidable on Sunday afternoon. On the heels of a disappointing loss to Minnesota, a lineup shift and fresh blood pushed the Lakers (8-6) to a 114-106 victory over the visiting San Antonio Spurs. The win gave the…Lakers bounce back against Spurs as Anthony Davis scores 34 — Orange County Register
He injured his ankle on Sunday but stayed in the game at the time.LeBron James out Tuesday night vs. Spurs with right ankle soreness — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
Without legendary coach Gregg Popovich’s endorsement, Nuggets coach Michael Malone wouldn’t be in the position he’s in, as the fifth-longest tenured coach in the NBA.Nuggets Journal: How Spurs coach Gregg Popovich paved the way for Michael Malone — The Denver Post
DeMar DeRozan believes Raptors president Masai Ujiri lied to him before trading him to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard in 2018.DeMar DeRozan says he hung up on Masai Ujiri when Raptors president called about trade — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
NEW YORK (AP) — James Harden will play for the Brooklyn Nets on Wednesday night after missing more than a month with a strained right hamstring. The Nets announced Harden would be available for their game against the San Antonio Spurs after listing him as probable earlier in the day. Coach Steve Nash said it […]Harden will return for Nets on Wednesday against Spurs — The China Post, Taiwan
Garden fan capacity will be increased to 25% on May 10, but for now, 12% — or roughly 2,800 spectators — is there to support their team. 927 more wordsTatum scores 60 as Celtics pull off historic rally from 32-point hole to beat Spurs in overtime — Boston Herald
By Doug Alden Associated Press BOSTON — Jaylen Brown hit a 3-pointer with 16.7 seconds remaining in overtime, Jayson Tatum scored a career-high 60 points and the Boston Celtics rallied from a 32-point deficit to beat the San Antonio Spurs 143-140 on Friday night. Tatum, whose previous career best was 53 points scored against Minnesota on […]Tatum, Celtics rally from huge deficit to top Spurs — Lowell Sun
The Heat, Celtics and Trail Blazers are reportedly interested if he gets bought out.Report: Spurs expected to trade, rather than buy out, LaMarcus Aldridge — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports