Beal doesn’t sound like a guy looking to leave Washington D.C.Bradley Beal “extremely ecstatic” that GM Tommy Sheppard got extension — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Spencer Dinwiddie each scored 16 points.Wizards beat Heat 103-100 to split home-and-home series — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
• The Toronto Raptors finish a three-game road trip (Oct. 30 – Nov. 3) Wednesday night against the Washington Wizards at Capital One Arena. Washington beat the Raptors 98-83 in Toronto to open the season.
The Wizards have won the last two meetings, however the Raptors have won four in a row in Washington.
Toronto has started the season with three straight road victories for the first time since 2016-17.
• OG Anunoby scored a career-best 36 points (13-27 FG, 4-12 3PT, 6-7 FT) in Monday’s victory at New York – his third career 30-point effort. Anunoby has now scored 20+ points in four of the last six games
(Oct. 23 – Nov. 1), averaging 22.8 points. He is shooting .464 (52-112) from the field and .407 (22-54) from 3-point range during this stretch.
• The Raptors have won four in a row following Monday’s 113-104 victory at New York. Toronto has recorded 49 steals and has a +30 turnover differential (47-to-77) over the last four games.
• Gary Trent Jr. and Fred VanVleet lead the NBA in deflections this season with 38 apiece. VanVleet has led the league in deflections per game each of the past two seasons. Trent Jr. currently ranks fourth in the
league in steals per game (2.75) and has recorded multiple steals in six of the first eight games, including a career high-tying five steals twice. The Raptors rank first in the NBA in steals per game (11.1) this season
after finishing fourth in steals (8.6) in 2020-21.
• Fred VanVleet has scored 15+ points in six straight games (Oct. 23 – Nov. 1). VanVleet is averaging 18.8 points, 7.7 assists and 6.2 rebounds during this stretch, and is shooting .468 (44-94) from the floor and .378 (17-45) from three-point range.
• The Raptors grabbed 13 offensive rebounds and outscored New York 16-8 in second chance points Monday night. Toronto currently leads the NBA in offensive rebounds per game (14.3) and ranks second in second-chance points per game (16.9). The Raptors finished last season ranked 20th in the league in
offensive rebounds (9.4). Reserve Khem Birch leads Toronto with 25 offensive rebounds this season, including 13 in the last four games (Oct. 27 – Nov. 1).
• Rookie Scottie Barnes will miss his second straight game with sprained right thumb. He injured the thumb late in the fourth quarter Oct. 30 at Indiana. Barnes currently leads all rookies in scoring (18.1 ppg), rebounds (8.9) and field goal percentage (.551). He has paced the team in scoring in four of his first seven games played, scored 20+ points three times and earned two double-doubles.
Trae Young – the rare person complaining not enough fouls are being called amid the NBA’s new rules – drew a season-high 11 free throws last night.Hawks, Wizards set NBA record by making all 45 of their free throws — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
“I always say I want to win. I want to be productive and I want to win in D.C.”Bradley Beal on Wizards 5-1 start: “I want to win with D.C.” — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
GAME #1 – TORONTO RAPTORS (0-0) vs. WASHINGTON WIZARDS (0-0)
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2021 – 7:30 P.M. (ET) – SCOTIABANK ARENA
TV: TSN – RADIO: SPORTSNET 590 THE FAN
• The Toronto Raptors will tip-off their 27th season in the NBA on Wednesday night against the Washington Wizards at Scotiabank Arena. Toronto returns eight players that finished last season with the team. The Raptors played the entire 2020-21 season in Tampa, Florida and have not hosted a regular season game in Toronto since Feb. 28, 2020 vs. Charlotte. Only four players — OG Anunoby, Chris Boucher, Pascal
Siakam and Fred VanVleet — remain from the team that played the Hornets that night.
• Wednesday night marks the 10th straight season and the 21st time in team history Toronto has started the regular season at home. The Raptors sport a 16-10 record in season openers, including 13-7 at home. It is
the third time Toronto has opened the season against the Wizards. The two clubs faced off to start the 2002-03 (W 74-68) and 2005-06 (L 99-96) campaigns.
• The Raptors finished their 2021 preseason schedule with a 3-2 record. Toronto averaged 113.4 points and finished with a +22 point differential (567-to-545). OG Anunoby averaged a team-high 19.3 points and shot .542 (13-for-24) from three-point range in four appearances. Newcomer Precious Achiuwa averaged a team-best 8.6 rebounds in five games, while rookie Scottie Barnes averaged 9.8 points, a team-high 5.6assists and 4.8 rebounds. Barnes tallied 28 assists compared to just nine turnovers in five games.
• The Raptors picked guard-forward Scottie Barnes fourth overall in the 2021 NBA Draft. Barnes averaged 10.3 points, 4.0 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 24.7 minutes in 24 games as a freshman at Florida State last season. A native of West Palm Beach, Barnes was named ACC Freshman and Sixth Man of the Year and
was selected to the All-ACC Third Team. He was also among the 10 finalists for the Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award.
• DID YOU KNOW? A native of Toronto, guard Dalano Banton became the first Canadian picked by the Raptors when he was selected 46th overall in the 2021 NBA Draft.
• The Raptors have exercised the third-year team option on the rookie scale contracts of Precious Achiuwa and Malachi Flynn. Both players are now signed through the 2022-23 season. Achiuwa averaged 5.0 points, 3.4 rebounds and 12.1 minutes in 61 games as a rookie last season with Miami, and was named to
the World Team roster for the 2021 NBA Rising Stars. Flynn averaged 7.5 points, 2.9 assists, 2.5 rebounds and 19.7 minutes in 47 appearances, and was named Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month for April.
• Pascal Siakam underwent surgery in early June to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder. The surgery was performed by Dr. Neal ElAttrache at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles. The injury to Siakam’s shoulder occurred May 8 vs. Memphis. The expected recovery and rehabilitation time for this
procedure is approximately five months, and his condition will be updated as appropriate. Siakam appeared in 56 games last season, averaging 21.4 points, 7.2 rebounds and a career-high 4.5 assists.
“He just said, ‘If I can get to the Lakers, that’d be something I would love to do. If not, I’ll be back here.’”Wizards GM said Westbrook was open to Lakers trade, said “hell no” to Clippers — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
The Wizards are opening a big hole at point guard by trading Russell Westbrook to the Lakers.Report: Wizards likely to acquire Spencer Dinwiddie in sign-and-trade with Nets — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
The Lakers have been seeking a third star ever since pairing LeBron James and Anthony Davis.Reports: Lakers near deal for Russell Westbrook, who requested trade from Wizards — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
Bradley Beal is reportedly considering requesting a trade from the Wizards.Report: Bradley Beal irked by Wizards’ process of hiring Wes Unseld Jr. over Sam Cassell — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
Nuggets assistant Wes Unseld Jr. and Bucks assistant Darvin Ham were described as frontrunners to become the Wizards’ next head coach.Report: Wizards likely to hire Wes Unseld Jr. as head coach — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
The Wizards can’t be the Suns or Thunder.Rumor: Wizards want to be next Thunder rather than next Suns — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports