Brooklyn and Miami are the top-ranked teams from the East, but the Bucks are climbing fast.NBA Power Rankings: Warriors remain on top but Nets climbing fast — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
Day: November 24, 2021
Former LAFC coach Bob Bradley joins Toronto FC — Orange County Register
After mutually agreeing to end a four-year run managing the Los Angeles Football Club, Bob Bradley needed less than a week to move across the continent for his next assignment. Bradley, 63, was officially introduced as the head coach and sporting director for Toronto FC on Wednesday, placing him in the same organization as his…Former LAFC coach Bob Bradley joins Toronto FC — Orange County Register
Hoornstra: Tying MLB player salaries to performance an idea worth revisiting — Orange County Register
Besides paying taxes and various acts of war, playing baseball might be the most well-chronicled activity in human history. If something took place in a professional baseball contest since 1900, there is a better than average chance it has been recorded for perpetuity. The maintenance of these records has continued unabated. The bigger question is…Hoornstra: Tying MLB player salaries to performance an idea worth revisiting — Orange County Register
MAPLE LEAFS-KINGS pregame notes
2021-22 Matchups vs. Los Angeles: Second of Two
2020-21 Record vs. Los Angeles: N/A
Toronto Season Record: 13-6-1
Toronto Road Record: 4-3-0
TV: Sportsnet Ontario RADIO: Sportsnet 590
November 23, 2021 Forward Joey Anderson has been loaned the Toronto Marlies (AHL)
November 23, 2021 Forward Kyle Clifford has been recalled from the Toronto Marlies (AHL)
Score: Toronto 3 at New York Islanders 0
Date: Sunday, November 21, 2021
TOR Goals: Marner (2), Kaše
NYI Goals: N/A
TOR Goaltender: Woll, 20/20, 1.000 SV%
NYI Goaltender: Sorokin, 37/40, .925 SV%
TOR Power Play: 0-for-3
TOR Penalty Kill: 3-for-3
Date: Friday, November 26, 2021
Opponent: at San Jose Sharks
Broadcast Information: Sportsnet Ontario (TV), TSN 1050 (Radio)
Petr Mrázek (Groin) *On Injured Reserve
Ilya Mikheyev (Thumb) *On Injured Reserve
Man Games Lost: 35
ALL-TIME VS. LOS ANGELES KINGS:
First Matchup between Clubs: October 25, 1967 (Toronto 4 vs. Los Angeles 2)
All-Time Record: 65-65-21-3 (154 Games)
All-Time Record at Home: 40-27-11-1 (79 Games)
All-Time Record on the Road: 25-38-10-2 (75 Games)
Last Road Win vs. Opponent: November 13, 2018 (Toronto 5 at Los Angeles 1)
Record in Last Five Games: 3-1-1
Record in Last 10 Games: 4-4-2
ACTIVE LEADERS VS. LOS ANGELES KINGS:
Games Played: TJ Brodie (37), Jason Spezza (26), John Tavares (20)
John Tavares (5), Jason Spezza (4), Alexander Kerfoot (3), Wayne
Simmonds (3), Michael Bunting (3), TJ Brodie (3)
Assists: John Tavares (12), Jason Spezza (9), TJ Brodie (9), Mitch Marner (6)
Points: John Tavares (17), Jason Spezza (13), TJ Brodie (12)
Penalty Minutes: Nick Ritchie (29), Jason Spezza (12), Wayne Simmonds (12)
2021-22 AVERAGES AND RANKINGS
Points % GF/Game GA/Game PP% PK% SF/G SA/G FO%
Toronto .675 2.55 2.25 23.2% 88.7% 33.8 29.7 55.2%
NHL Rank 8th 26th 3rd 7th 2nd 7th 6th-T 1st
THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN 2021-22
Power Play: 13/56 (23.2%)
Power Play Goal Leader: 4 – Matthews
Power Play Point Leader: 7 – Matthews (4G, 3A), Nylander (3G, 4A)
2020-21 Power Play: 31/155 (20.0%)
ON THE PK IN 2021-22
Penalty Kill: 47/53 (88.7%)
Shorthanded Goal Leader: 1 – Marner
Shorthanded Point Leader: 1 – Marner (1G), Muzzin (1A)
2020-21 Penalty Kill: 113/144 (78.5%)
Wednesday games 4th of 11 (6 home, 5 road)
Back-to-Backs played 4 of 13
Record in first game of back-to-back 2-2-0
Record in second game of back-to-back 2-2-0
November games 12th of 14 (8 home, 6 road)
TJ BRODIE Appeared in his 700th career NHL game, Nov. 2, 2021 vs. VGK
JACK CAMPBELL Appeared in his 100th career NHL game, Nov. 16 vs. NSH
JACK CAMPBELL Recorded his 50th career NHL win, Nov. 18 vs. NYR
PIERRE ENGVALL Appeared in his 100th career NHL game, Nov. 2, 2021 vs. VGK
ONDREJ KAŠE Recorded his 100th career NHL point, Nov. 10, 2021 at PHI
Recorded his 200th NHL goal on Oct. 25 at CAR. Per NHL Stats,
Matthews required the second-fewest games to reach 200 goals in Maple
Leafs history among players who debuted with the team, trailing only
Charlie Conacher (317 games).
Recorded his 300th NHL point with a goal on Feb. 8 vs. VAN, tying Charlie
Conacher to become the second-fastest Maple Leaf to reach the mark at
Recorded his 300th NHL point with an assist on Apr. 13 vs. CGY to
become the sixth defenceman in franchise history to record 300 points with
MORGAN RIELLY Recorded his 250th career NHL assist on Oct. 27 at CHI
KIRILL SEMYONOV Made his NHL debut, Nov. 10 at PHI
WAYNE SIMMONDS Skated in his 950th career NHL game on Oct. 16 vs. OTT
JOHN TAVARES Recorded his 200th point with the Maple Leafs on Oct. 18 vs. NYR.
JOHN TAVARES Scored his 100th goal with the Maple Leafs, Nov. 13 at BUF
TJ BRODIE One goal away from 50 career NHL goals
MICHAEL BUNTING Four games away from 50 career NHL games played
TRAVIS DERMOTT Two points away from 50 career NHL points
JUSTIN HOLL Nine points away from 50 career NHL points
ONDREJ KAŠE Two goals away from 50 career NHL goals
DAVID KÄMPF Six assists away from 50 career NHL assists
ALEXANDER KERFOOT Two games away from 300 career NHL games played
ILYA MIKHEYEV Seven games away from 100 career NHL games played
JASON SPEZZA Three games away from 1,200 career NHL games played
LA KINGS STORYLINES:
Goaltenders Jonathan Quick and Cal Petersen have posted incredible numbers over the Kings last 11 games (7-2-2). The tandem stopped 298 of 320
shots and has combined for a .931 save percentage, a 1.97 goals-against average and one shutout while allowing two goals or less in nine of the 11
Individually, Jonathan Quick has been outstanding over his last six games (4-1-1) in which he has posted a .958 save percentage, a 1.31 goals-against
average and one shutout.
The Kings as a team and individually all have had impressive streaks recently. The team tied the 11th longest point-streak in history (eight games, 7-0-
1), Oct. 28-Nov. 13. The teams’ seven-game winning streak recently came to an end. It was tied for the third longest such streak in the league this
season and tied for the seventh longest streak in franchise history. It was just the 12th time in franchise history that the team has won seven-or-more
consecutive games (franchise record is nine).
Forward Alex Iafallo had a seven-game point streak (5-5=10), Oct. 28-Nov. 9. He has the sixth most points and is tied for the sixth most goals in the
league since Oct. 28. It is tied for the sixth longest streak by any player in the NHL. The streak was the second longest of his career (nine games, Dec.
21, 2019-Jan. 9, 2020, 4-6=10). He also scored a goal at 0:06 seconds of the third period, Nov. 9 at MTL. It was the fastest goal to start a period in
franchise history, surpassing the previous record of 0:07 set by Dave Williams on Feb. 14, 1987 vs. Hartford. It is also the fastest goal in the league
since Montreal’s Brendan Gallagher scored at the 0:06 second mark on Oct. 19, 2019.
Adrian Kempe recently saw his career-long four-game goal streak come to an end. It matches the longest by any player in the league this season.
The Kings came from behind in the third period to win in consecutive games (Oct. 31 vs. BUF and Nov. 3 vs. STL). It is the 19th time in franchise history
they have accomplished this feat (last: Mar. 21-23, 2019).
Rookie defenseman Kale Clague registered a point in each of his first three of the games he played in this season (0-3=3).
With seven points in two games during the first week of the season, captain Anze Kopitar was named the first star of the week.
MILESTONES WITHIN REACH:
4 goals from 100
2 goals behind Bobby Carpenter for 20th all-time among Americans
1 goal from 100
1 GWG from tying Marcel Dionne (59) for 2nd on the Kings all-time list
CONSECUTIVE GAMES PLAYED STREAK:
Kopitar: 217 (since 10/20/18)
LA Kings Record: Drew Doughty – 460 (Oct. 8, 2014 – Jan. 18, 2020)
MOST RECENT KINGS MILESTONES ACHIEVED:
Appeared in his 18th season with the Kings, the most in franchise history
Surpassed Doug Weight (1,238) for 11th on the all-time American games played list, Oct. 28 vs. STL
Registered the 200th point of his career, Oct. 14 vs. VGK
Appeared in his 400th career NHL game, Oct. 30 vs. MTL
Appeared in his 300th career NHL game, Nov. 21 vs. ARI
Scored the 100th power-play goal of his career, Oct. 31 vs. BUF
Surpassed Bernie Nicholls (101) for 5th on the Kings all-time PPG list, Nov. 9 at OTT
Registered the 100th assist of his career, Oct. 30 vs. MTL
Recorded his first career point (assist), Oct. 14 vs. VG
RAPTORS-GRIZZLIES pregame notes
• The Toronto Raptors (8-10) continue a six-game road trip (Nov. 15-26) wednesday night against the Memphis Grizzlies (9-8) at FedExForum. The Raptors have dropped four of their last five (Nov. 13-21). Toronto
and Memphis split the season-series in 2020-21 with each team winning on the road. Pascal Siakam averaged 25.0 points and 5.0 assists in two games vs. the Grizzlies last season. The Raptors have won 12 of
the last 15 meetings with Memphis dating back to the start of the 2013-14 campaign.
• Pascal Siakam scored a team-high 21 points Sunday against the Warriors. Siakam has scored 20+ points in four of the last five games (Nov. 13-21), averaging 20.4 points. He is shooting 50 percent (36-72) from
the field, including .455 (10-22) from three-point range, during this stretch.
• The Raptors outrebounded Golden State 18-8 on the offensive glass Sunday. Toronto has now outrebounded its opponent on the offensive end in 14-of-18 games this season. The Raptors are tied with Minnesota for the NBA lead in offensive rebounds per game (13.6), and rank third in second chance points per
game (15.8) – behind Minnesota (16.3) and Memphis (15.9).
• Rookie Scottie Barnes recorded his third double-double of the season with 10 points and a season hightying 13 rebounds in 28 minutes Nov. 21 at Golden State. Barnes is tied with Evan Mobley for the lead
among rookies in scoring (14.6 ppg), and ranks first in rebounds (8.3) and minutes (34.9). He has led the
Raptors in scoring five times, rebounds on six occasions and scored 20+ points in four games.
• Gary Trent Jr. (76) and Fred VanVleet (63) rank first and tied for fourth respectively, in the NBA in deflections. Trent Jr. also ranks fourth in the NBA in steals (2.11) and has tied his single-game career high with
five steals three times. VanVleet has led the league in deflections per game each of the past two seasons. Toronto currently leads the NBA in steals per game (10.0).
• OG Anunoby missed his third straight game (Nov. 18-21) Sunday at Golden State with a left hip pointer. Anunoby sustained the injury during practice Wednesday in Portland. He is averaging a team-high 20.1
points in 15 games this season.
• Chris Boucher has scored 10 points off the bench in consecutive games (Nov. 19-21) for the first time this season. Boucher averaged 13.2 points in 46 games as a reserve last season – scoring in double figures 28
times, including 20+ points in 10 games.
• The Raptors recalled Isaac Bonga from Raptors 905 on Tuesday. Bonga has helped the 905 to a 3-1 start, averaging 22.8 points and 9.5 rebounds, while shooting 55 percent (33-60) from the floor in four games. Two-way player David Johnson is averaging 17.8 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.8 assists. .
F – SCOTTIE BARNES #4
MIN: 34.9 REB: 8.4 AST: 3.3 STL: 1.1 TO: 2.1 BLK: 0.6 PTS: 14.6
• Recorded 10 points, a season high-tying 13 rebounds and five assists in 28 minutes Nov. 21 at Golden State.
• Tied with Precious Achiuwa for the team lead with three double-doubles.
• Tied with Evan Mobley for the lead among rookies in scoring (14.6); ranks first in rebounds (8.3) & minutes (34.9).
F – PASCAL SIAKAM #43
MIN: 32.1 REB: 6.6 AST: 3.6 STL: 1.0 TO: 2.4 BLK: 0.9 PTS: 17.9
• Scored a team-high 21 points Nov. 21 at Golden State; added six rebounds and two assists in 34 minutes.
• Needs 12 rebounds for 2,000 in his career; will become the 10th player in franchise history to reach milestone.
• Missed the first 10 games (Oct. 20 – Nov. 5) of the regular season recovering from left shoulder surgery.
C – KHEM BIRCH #24
MIN: 23.0 REB: 5.7 AST: 1.3 STL: 1.0 TO: 0.6 BLK: 0.5 PTS: 6.9
• Finished with seven points, five rebounds and two blocked shots in 22 minutes Nov. 21 at Golden State.
• Leads the team with 48 offensive rebounds (12th in the NBA), one more than Scottie Barnes (47).
• Averaging 10.3 points, 5.7 rebounds and 23.0 minutes in three games as a starter.
G – GARY TRENT JR. #33
MIN: 34.3 REB: 3.3 AST: 1.6 STL: 2.1 TO: 1.0 BLK: 0.4 PTS: 17.1
• Tallied 11 points and two rebounds in 29 minutes of action Nov. 21 at Golden State.
• Ranks fourth in the NBA in steals per game (2.11); has recorded multiple steals in 11 games.
• Averaging 19.3 points and is shooting .378 (34-90) from three-point range in November (11 games).
G – FRED VANVLEET #23
MIN: 38.1 REB: 4.9 AST: 6.8 STL: 1.7 TO: 3.1 BLK: 0.6 PTS: 19.2
• Contributed 17 points, four rebounds and a team-high seven assists in 39 minutes Nov. 21 at Golden State.
• Passed Morris Peterson (598) for third on the Raptors’ all-time three-point field goals list Nov. 19 at Sacramento.
• Leads the NBA in minutes per game (38.1), tied for 12th in assists (6.8) and 13th steals (1.65) per game.
OG Anunoby (Left Hip; Pointer) – TBD
Yuta Watanabe (Left Calf; Strain) – TBD
Opponent: Indiana Pacers
Date: Friday, November 26
Jaren Jackson Jr. won a jump ball against Rudy Gobert and then won the game with a 3-pointer over Gobert with 5.7 seconds remaining in the Grizzlies’ 119-118 victory over the Utah Jazz Monday at Vivint Arena… It marked just the second time in franchise history that a player hit the go-ahead, game-winning 3-pointer in the final 10 seconds of the fourth
quarter or overtime on the road… The other instance was when Matt Barnes made a running 3-pointer (from half court)
to give Memphis a 93-92 road win over the Detroit Pistons on Dec. 9, 2015.
Ja Morant totaled 32 points and seven assists (including the final dime to Jackson Jr.), while Desmond Bane scored a career-high 28 points in Monday’s win over Utah… Jackson Jr. finished with 26 points… This marked the first time the Grizzlies had at least three players register 25+ points in a victory since Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol and Rudy Gay did so
on Feb. 27, 2010 at New York.
The Grizzlies host the Toronto Raptors Wednesday… The two teams will start and close their two-game season series within one week… Memphis travels to Toronto for the second game on Nov. 30.
Nuggets bracing for news after P.J. Dozier’s injury: “We’re keeping him in our spirits” — The Denver Post
There was no official word on the status of Nuggets wing P.J. Dozier late Tuesday night, but his teammates were somber after the combo guard exited the game following an awkward landing late in the first quarter in Portland. “Everybody kind of embraced him in the locker room,” said Nuggets guard Monte Morris following the…Nuggets bracing for news after P.J. Dozier’s injury: “We’re keeping him in our spirits” — The Denver Post