Ahead of the 2021 Breeders’ Cup at Del Mar, Tim Layden takes a close look at the hurdles—both logistically and culturally—still facing the sport of horse racing.Layden: Horse racing seeks to show its best face at the Breeders’ Cup — NBC Sports
Day: November 1, 2021
76ers Harris, Cavaliers Love both out as they enter health, safety protocols — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
Carmelo Anthony counters ‘misconception:’ ‘I’m easily adaptable’ — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
Just a few years ago, Carmelo Anthony said coming off the bench was out of the question and he couldn’t be effective in a small role.Carmelo Anthony counters ‘misconception:’ ‘I’m easily adaptable’ — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
Lakers weekly reset: Carmelo Anthony fuels bounce-back at home — Daily News
Editor’s note: This is the Monday Nov. 1 edition of the Purple & Bold Lakers newsletter from reporter Kyle Goon. To receive the newsletter in your inbox, … 880 more wordsLakers weekly reset: Carmelo Anthony fuels bounce-back at home — Daily News
Pelicans: Zion Williamson out several more weeks — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
Zion Williamson, who suffered an offseason foot injury, said he’d return for the Pelicans’ first regular-season game and lead them into the playoffs.Pelicans: Zion Williamson out several more weeks — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
RAPTORS-KNICKS PREGAME NOTES
• The Toronto Raptors continue a three-game road trip (Oct. 30 – Nov. 3) Monday night against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden. Monday’s game will mark the 75th anniversary of the league’s first regular-season game, which was played between the Knicks and Toronto Huskies on Nov. 1, 1946 at Maple Leaf Gardens. The Knickerbockers defeated the host Huskies 68-66.
• The Raptors have won three in a row following a 97-94 victory at Indiana on Friday. Toronto has recorded
37 steals and has a +22 turnover differential (38-to-60) over the last three games.
• OG Anunoby and Fred VanVleet have both scored 15+ points in five straight games (Oct. 23-30). Anunoby is averaging a team-high 20.2 points during this stretch, while VanVleet is averaging 19.2 points. The
duo has combined to shoot .466 (76-163) from the field, .405 (32-79) from beyond the arc and .684 (13-19)
at the free throw line over the last five games.
• The Raptors currently lead the NBA in offensive rebounds per game (14.4) and rank second in second-chance points per game (17.0). Toronto finished last season ranked 20th in the league in offensive rebounds (9.4). Scottie Barnes and Khem Birch lead the Raptors with 21 offensive rebounds apiece this
season. Toronto has 12 offensive boards and scored 18 second chance points Friday against the Pacers.
• Fred VanVleet (35) and Gary Trent Jr. (30) rank first and second, respectively, in the NBA in deflections
this season. VanVleet (199) finished tied for fifth in deflections last season despite missing 20 games.
Trent Jr. currently ranks fifth in the league in steals per game (2.57) and has recorded multiple steals in
five of the first seven games, inlcuding a career high-tying five steals twice. The Raptors rank second in the
NBA in steals per game (11.1) this season.
• Svi Mykhailiuk scored a bench-high 16 points in Friday’s win at Indiana. Mykhailiuk is averaging a team-high 7.0 points off the bench through seven games, and is shooting .421 (8-19) from three-point range.
• Rookie Scottie Barnes led the Raptors in points and rebounds for the second straight game with 21 points
and 12 rebounds in Friday’s victory over the Pacers. Barnes has led the team in scoring in four of his first
seven games, scored 20+ points three times and posted two double-doubles.
• Rookie Dalano Banton led the bench in scoring with 10 points in back-to-back games (Oct. 27-29). A native of Toronto, Banton became the first Canadian picked by the Raptors when he was selected 46th overall in the 2021 NBA Draft.